1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
Dribbling the ball up and down the court is almost a daily activity. Sweaty foreheads and sweaty shirts fill the air with the aroma of the basketball court. Feet stampeding across the court and squeaking from baseline to baseline. All of this, just to put the ball in the basket. This is what I've done for as long as I can remember. I started playing with a ball in my hands before I could even walk. Ive been on a team since the age of 5. Although I have started playing at a young age, my love for the game has never faded. This game has been a part of me for my whole life.
Just like anybody playing basketball it has been a journey for me and it has not been easy. During my Freshmen year I had suffered from a season ending injury. The day before tryouts I had gone to the doctors to get my ankle checked out. They made me take a series of X-rays and MRI's until the doctor had finally told me I had Osteochondral lesions of the talus. He said that there was a part of my bone that died and that I couldn't play basketball this year. I couldn't even touch the ball for a total of 8 months. Once I was able to play again I had to re-learn everything I forgot how to do so many things that I could do easily before. And it was very frustrating, I was always mad about how I wasn't getting the results that I would be getting before. But I had learned how to deal with it, I just had to practice playing a different style. I had to play slower and smarter instead of more athletic and aggressive. And it worked I just kept working at playing smarter and smarter and it definitely gave me results that I was happy with.
Ever since I was born my mom and dad have been my biggest supporters. When I was a baby they would play bouncy ball with me or they would even play with me on my little tites hoop. And as I grew older and started becoming more serious about basketball my mom became more of my number 1 fan, and my dad became like my personal coach. My mom was usually one of the team moms on what ever team I was on at the time. And my dad would try to be one of the assistant coaches on the team. But if he couldn't that meant that just me and him would be going to the park more by ourself's to work on my game and do drills. Me and my dad were always like best friends we like most of the same things and act exactly the same so it was no wonder that after all these years that it was so easy for him to coach me.
Basketball is one of the biggest parts of my life. It really helped me find out who I really am. And it has a lot to do with the person that I am today. But it also comes at its own price because there will always be obstacles for me bigger than the ones that I have faced so far. And I have to remember to always remain calm and take it easily one step at a time and to not let it consume me. I also have to thank my parents for always being by my side and kept pushing me to pursue basketball and be the best that I can be.
sorry I was delirious when I wrote this I go off topic and its very confusing my bad :(
ReplyDeleteHey Duncan, I like the idea of your essay but I do think that you could change some things to make it better. For example, in your introduction paragraph, you are kind of repetitive with your word choice and sentences. Also, I think that you should change some of your sentence structures to make it flow better. In my personal opinion I would say that it might be better if you switched your two body paragraphs around like the one about ever since you were born going first. But thats just a sidetone. One more thing is that if you talk more about how basketball has changed you as an individual.
ReplyDelete